Friday, January 2, 2009

Reason #1: I am not part of an Asian posse.

Notice I didn't even deign to say that I don't "have" an Asian posse - I'm so not-Asian, I can barely broach ownership of a group.

All good Asians have a tons of Asian friends. Case in point: my sister, who has always been more Asian than me.

I was never really comfortable with having a group of Asian friends - I kind-of had that group in high school through church (which is a great meeting place for young Asians), but even with those kids, I never felt like I was part of their fun.

In high school, I strained against the expected actions of a good Asian girl, and did the whole "Don't identify me by my race thing" that I am still trying to figure out. Plus, though I went to an extremely diverse high school and had a diverse set of friends, most were not of the Korean/Chinese/Japanese Asian contingent.

It's not that I haven't tried to cultivate an Asian posse. In undergrad, I even went to a BU Asian party. Dude, that's huge. Unfortunately, the girlfriend who took me to the party graduated a month later, and I lost my "in" to an Asian group.

So, step one towards relearning Asian: find an Asian posse. I have no idea how to find an Asian group in NYC. I am totally open to suggestions. Probably should've kept in touch with the one Asian guy I "dated." Might reach out to the two Taiwanese moms I met at the Met - one of them tried to set me up with her son in that roundabout Asian-mom way.

No comments:

Post a Comment