Saturday, January 10, 2009

The E.Vill. on a Friday Night.

If you want to observe the Asian Posse (AP) at play in New York, one goes to the East Village. The youth is out - the heels are high, the music is loud and the hair is pointy and gelled.

Amazed at my own dedication, I went out last night in the East Village with my friend JDM. We spotted many Asian posses. We even stumbled upon an Asian party - somehow, my friend RO's bday party at Leopard Lounge was melded with someone else's Asian birthday party.  I mean, there were two bday parties there, and one was RO's, and the other was almost exclusively Asian.  I couldn't breathe. I felt exposed as a Fasian; I had to leave.

JDM and I lasted for like, 2 minutes - long enough to shove our way to the back of the room, backtrack, locate R, and say we're leaving.  As we walk out (I think the doormen were like, WTF?  Didn't y'all just come in?), we hear someone say "I don't mean to be racist, but why are there so many Asians here?"  Think he meant the party, but I guess that could've applied to NYC.  I had a short-lived desire to crow, "How does it feel to be the minority, white boy?"  But really, I wanted to kick him ... any sentence starts with "I don't mean to be racist" is not a good sentence.

I have a slight regret: while JDM and I were walking from Soho to the Leopard Lounge, we passed an all-boy Asian Posse.  I really wanted to go up to them and be like, "Yo, you guys need a girl.  Can I join your team?"  But I didn't.  And I regretted it all night.  Next time, there should be no hesitation ... 

Anyway, we ended up going to this very cute, tiny Japanese restaurant/sake bar called Decibel.  J knew about it.  I think she's more Asian than I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment